Saturday 5 September 2009

97 Things Every Programmer Should Know

Dear Junior

I just got to know that the initiative 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know under the lead of Kevlin Henney, has just gone public on the O’Reilly web site. The goal of the project is to distil ninety-seven “pearls of wisdom” each condensed to a short article. This is definitely a source of great ideas on programming – what we do and how we do it. Among the contributors you can find well known names like Richard Monson-Haefel, Kevlin Henney, Kirk Pepperdine, Uncle Bob, Dan North, Michael Feathers, and Michael Hunger.

I have also had the honour to be asked to contribute and on the list of Edited Contributions there are two articles of my writing: number 22 Know Your Next Commit about work habits, and number 29 Distinguish Business Exceptions from Technical on code structure.

Apart from starting with Code in the Language of the Domain by Dan North which is bang-in-the-middle of where I started my interest in Domain Driven Design, I would recommend the writing of the Norwegians Einar Landre (who also has a lot to say about DDD) and Johannes Brodwall.

Happy reading!

Yours

Dan